Due to heavy power cuts these days ,I restarted my PC many a times without shutting it down properly . This resulted in a abnormal function in my PC where "A check disk utility will run every time I restart the PC " . It checks my disk and it gives no error .But next time I restart my PC , again it will check my PC . Why is it happening and How to prevent disk check on every restart of your computer ?
This actually happens because of Windows setting Dirty bit on a particular drive.
What is Dirty bit ?
A Dirty bit is a bit in a memory cache or virtual memory page that has been modified by the CPU, but not yet written back to storage."If a volume's dirty bit is set , this indicates that the file system of the volume may be in an inconsistent state for one of the following reasons."
- The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes.
- Changes that were made to the volume and the computer shuts down before the changes were committed to disk
- The volume is corrupted . If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.
- Open Command prompt by navigating as follows Start --> Run and type cmd in run the prompt .
- Now type fsutil dirty query driveletter: . Replace driveletter with the drive on whom disk checking is running everytime . For E.g if the problem is with E: drive , you have to type fsutil dirty query e: .
- The result should be The volume is dirty .
- Now type CHKNTFS /X D: . The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.
- Repeat the above 3 steps for all drives on which Check disk runs on every reboot .
- Now restart the computer and you will see Check disk not running .
- Now Open Command prompt again and type Chkdsk /f /r driveletter: (E.g for E: drive Chkdsk /f /r E: ) .
- It will do disk checking in 5 steps and will unset the dirty bit .Again type fsutil dirty query driveletter: and check the result whether drive is dirty or not .
- Repeat the above two steps for all drives on which disk check is running every time you reboot .
More Virus solutions from Technade :
Show hidden files and folders not working ?
How to remove Orkut is banned , you fool ?
How to remove virus that creates .exe files automatically ?
How to remove the Virus I don't hate Mozilla but use IE or else .. ?
how to remove autoplay option from right click menu of hard disk ?
Love this solution ? , Subscribe to my feed or click here to get updates via email